Monday, December 4, 2017

Katarina Gubanova Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Let me start by saying that I think about myself as an artist and composer who breaks conventions of traditional approach to neo-classics and piano performances. I deliberately put ‘artist’ first in the definition of what I do because I don't limit myself to merely composing music and performing it on the stage. There are many artists that do this genre and are, frankly, fantastic at it: my inspiration here is Chilly Gonzales, Ludovico Einaudi, Carter Burwel to name a few.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
As I said, I don't like to limit myself with a certain style of music although, generally, what I play falls under the category of neoclassical and/or lounge performances. My recent work includes a couple of experiments of piano instrumental music, solo, violin and other classical instruments. When my fans tell me impressions about my music they say that through my music they can visualize their subtle dreams and fantasies.

3.You have also done some piano versions of metal songs, can you tell us a little bit more about the songs you have covered?
I’ve started my project #CoverKeys to
I like to transform beauty that surrounds us into music. But more than that I like challenges. So for this album of covers, which I called Replays by Miss Key, I chose compositions that could hardly fit the profile of piano music - famous brutal metal hits. It was a hard  task, but I am very happy with the result and hope you like my keys interpretation on your favorite and familiar tunes.

4.Some of your original songs have lyrics to them, can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with your music?
It was a collaboration with different singers, so i think better to exclude this question. Texts are not mine

5.On the albums you record mostly everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?
The underlining difference in my style is that I participate in the original projects that are often a fusion of music, performance, and art where the lines are blurred and the categories are vague and undefined. This ambivalent creativity gives me a chance to explore my audience and myself while pushing the limits and conventions in music and in performance esthetics. For example, people say I am good at improvising on stage with my own work, and I also like to engage my audience during the performance.

6.Have you done any live shows with your musical project yet?
Sure, a lot. I perform alone or sometimes with singer, so I am also opened for new bookings.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
Yes. It’s a big part of work, but now I am ready to make this research and find a good label. Or to get interesting offer.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of metal, ambient or piano music?
Everything started with covers, which were made just for fun. I’m getting a lot of feedback. Some of me covers got about 50000 views in facebook

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
I have a plan to develop myself as a composer, arranger and for sure live artist, because i can’t  stay at one place for a while :)

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I’ve started with black metal, and it’s still my favourite metal. This year was for me the year of two bands - Carach Angren and Antimatter.
Talking about influences - I think it’s totally impossible to identify. During my life tastes changed so many time… downloading all musical genres into the head, drawing inspiration from the universe - I create my own.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Architecture.
Sometimes I paint pictures with oil and acrylic
Photography - from both sides, as a model and as a photograper

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
As I think that I found my way and feel total happiness about this, I wish to all readers to find their passion in life and don’t be scared to change yourself and world around.

https://www.facebook.com/katarinagubanova/

No comments:

Post a Comment